Texting has quickly replaced voice calls as the preferred method of communication for many people around the globe. In the past, phone carrier companies tried to charge outrageous fees for send a text messages or receiving them from other people. These days nobody needs to buy a texting plan from the phone company because Messenger allows you to send the same kind of texts to anyone with the app using your normal data plan.
Facebook makes the Messenger App, and it works on their platform but it’s much simpler because it includes only the message system from their social network. That means you can keep Messenger logged in all the time with much better battery life and text-specific functionality than if you used Facebook as a stand-alone message system.
Pros & Cons
- Clean efficient interface makes messages, replies or conversations a snap
- Backed by Facebook, this app is frequently updated and very well supported
- Save money by dumping your ‘texting plan’ and using this 100% free app instead
- Allows group chats and contacting people who have no Facebook account
- Sometimes Messenger makes you feel too connected with constant notifications
- Some of this functionality should be added to the Facebook App as well
- The ability to see if someone got your message is nice, but they can see if you got theirs too which can create some awkward situations with acquaintances.