Hiking Project is a great app that tells you all about the hiking trails that are in your area. It's a new app by REI, the outdoor equipment store, so they certainly have a vested interest in getting you out there and hanging outdoors. The app is pretty good but since it's newer they only have the most popular hikes, and seem to miss a lot of more obscure ones. Another thing is that there isn't elevation info available for many hikes, which is dangerous as you should always know how strenuous a hike will be before heading out.
It's a great app that certainly shows a lot of promise but it's not quite up to par just yet. It needs to have more information available about the hikes and more hikes in general!
Pros & Cons
- Find the best hikes in your area
- More than 74k miles of trails in the app
- App shows you exact location on trail using GPS
- Can download trails to use offline
- Needs better search filters
- Since it’s newer, only well known apps are included
- No elevation info available for trails